pianotech-digest V1997 #1626

Cliff Maurer ab254@oak-web.washington-ch.oh.us
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:04:11 -0400

> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:45:02 -0600
> From: "Glenn" <rockymtn@sprynet.com>
> Subject: Re: Classification,clarification,&accountability
>
> |David and list,
> |    I have been an associate member since joining the guild in '84. I
> |take my work seriously and do continue to try and improve my skills as a
> |tuner/technician. I have seen no real need to pursue upgrading to RPT
> |just so that I can have or employ the right to use three letters after
> |my name. It is enough for me that I have the information and skills and
> |know how to use them. The vast majority of my client base has no clue
> |what the designation RPT is much less what the PTG is.
> |    Regarding the what if statements in general; I feel that your
> |intentions are good and in an ideal world the implementation of them
> |would be a worthy pursuit. The world we now live in has as a basic fact
> |of life that some , even those who hold high qualifications, do sloppy
> |work. Forcing upon someone a mentor or sponsor would not guarantee
> |accountability in this profession any more than it does in any other.
> |Ever been to a bad doctor, lawyer, dentist, mechanic lately?
> |    Summarily, I feel that you can't change a persons attitude toward
> |the quality of work they choose to do simply by changing their
> |designation in a virtually unknown (to the public) organization. I
> |support the guild in the theory of furthering the education of it's
> |membership that actually cares to learn. This like any other profession
> |will have it's stragglers. Some of them may even be able to pass the
> |test but it will not guarantee any level of competence or workmanship in
> |the field. I hope that I did not ruffle too many feathers here. I have
> |the highest respect for you all.
> |                Sincerely,
> |                    Greg Newell
> |
> Greg,

        If what you say is true, then why do most of the colleges and universities
that have full time technicians make RPT the no.1 requirement, before looking at
anything else
on their job applications?
    I know this from first hand experience. I had previously been a RPT for 12
years,and a tuner tech for 28.
                                            Cliff Maurer