WWIII participants

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:23:14 -0500

List,

Whether you are a Christian or not, we all would be benefited by considering
what is contained in the word of God.

Galatians 5:15  But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you
are not consumed by one another.

To those on both sides of the war, you cannot win by arguing. A house
divided against itself cannot stand. Bickering, backbiting, and bullying
does no one any present or eventual good.

Think of how ridiculous it is to fuss and fight with each other:

First, you all are on the same team. You are piano technicians, and have
common interests. You want to do the very best job that you can. You have
more in common than you realize, but because you are fussing, it brings out
the worst in you.

Second, you have the same ultimate goal. You want to further yourself, the
PTG, and its members, encouraging them to fulfill higher expectations. If
you are too busying defending your own self, then you will spend all your
energies there and not in your field. It will consume you. Life is short
enough as it is. Don't spend it in controversy.

Third, your business is not affected by the comments of anyone else on the
list. Though your feelings may be singed a little, or your pride affected,
your business which you have worked hard to build is not affected by what
someone else says. Your customers don't think less of you because of a silly
comment by someone else on the Pianotech list. Is not your business the
thing that really matters? Remember the old saying, "Sticks and stones may
break my bones, but names will never hurt me." If this is so, why worry so
much about what others say about you?

Fourth, you bring embarrassment to others on the list by silly squabbles.
You make others look bad.

Fifth, If you all would work together, and not think the worst of each
other, more good will be accomplished. Each of you have valuable experience
and insight to contribute to us on the list.

May I suggest this piece of advice that was given to me one time? "A
spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." If you have a disagreement,
sugar-coat it, for crying out loud. Choose your words carefully, in a manner
that is calculated to bring out the best in another. Apparently, this feud
has been going on long before I subscribed in January. It appears that the
contestants are well aware of the positions of their opposition. Why don't
each of you try to bring out the best in the other rather than shooting each
other down?

Finally, in the words of our former national spokesman on race issues in
America, "Can't we all just get along?" You may not agree with another, but
you surely can be civil. Puerile incivility and professionalism are mutually
exclusive.

God help and bless all of you,

John Formsma

P.S. I refuse to take sides in this skirmish. I just want peace.