Fire/smoke damage

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 12:18:09 -0400

Friends:

A customer of mine has a Kincaid spinet in her finished basement level
where she teaches piano.  (We are not talking about the quality of her
piano ;-) at this moment.)  The clothes dryer caught fire on the same
level.  Although the flames were confined to the interior of the dryer,
smoke filled the room.  A company came in, washed the walls, shampooed
the carpet and upholstered furniture and whatever else they had to do.
Apparently the basement didn't really get hot from the fire.

The insurance company wants the piano checked.  They thought exposure to
the smoke might cause problems on down the road.  Will it?

I am willing to do the evaluation but I have no experience in this
area.  Should I try to find a piano technician who does?  If there is no
long-term threat from the smoke I expect to find that the piano is fine.

Regards,

Clyde Hollinger