CA glue and respiratory effects.

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:44:06 EDT

Dear List:

After hours of severe breathing difficulties following the last three pianos
I treated with CA glue, I finally looked around the internet for pertinent
information. ( I have always suffered from a low grade asthma, almost never
an inconvenience, let alone a problem.)

 Since CA glue is the flavor of the month, I suggest you check it out for
yourself, as the following information is highly abbreviated. Some links
follow.

One Abstract:  Cyanoacrylates (as in "superglue") are a major cause of
respiratory difficulties in  previously sensitized individuals. ( AND -  you
can become sensitized! ) Comparatively more is known about the cause of
asthma caused by work (occupational asthma) than about other forms of asthma.
In the UK alone there are probably more than 2000 new cases every year and
there have been a few fatalities from agents such as isocyanates or reactive
dyes. (see resins below - superglue is, I think, an acrylic resin)    CA glue
is not carcinogenic, and is not a transdermal hazard.

  <A HREF="http://www.med.ed.ac.uk/hew/medical/lung.html">Click here:
Occupational and Environmental Lung Disease
</A>

which yields in part;

ASTHMA
Asthma is a condition characterised by inflammation of the lining of the
airways and intermittent spasm of the underlying smooth muscle. Comparatively
more is known about the cause of asthma caused by work (occupational asthma)
than about other forms of asthma. It is often but not always the result of
allergy to an inhaled dust or vapour in the workplace. Its symptoms include
cough, wheeze, chest tightness and shortness of breath which improve on days
off work or longer holidays but the association with work may be difficult to
establish in some cases. In the UK there are probably more than 2000 new
cases every year and there have been a few fatalities from agents such as
isocyanates or reactive dyes.

Important causative agents include:-

Isocyanates, Hardening/curing agents, Rosin fumes from soldering flux, Dusts,
Animals such as mammals (rats, mice) but also arthropods (such as locusts),
Wood dusts, Aldehydes, Cyanoacrylates (as in "superglue"), and Antibiotics.

 (Here's the Link:)

<A
HREF="http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~jsmith/MSDS/SUPER%20GLUE.htm">Click
here: SUPER GLUE
</A>  a link to Material Safety Data Sheets

Excerpts:
OSU COLLEGE OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES MSDS FILE
Part Number/Trade Name: SUPER GLUE

Health Hazard Data
=======================================
Route Of Entry - Inhalation: YES
Route Of Entry - Skin: NO
Health Haz Acute And Chronic: ACUTE:IRRITATES EYES, MUCOUS MEMBRANES.
CHRONIC:NO RESIDUAL AFFECTS OF ACUTE PROPERTIES.
Carcinogenicity - NTP, OSHA, IARC: NO
Explanation Carcinogenicity: NOT RELEVANT.
Signs/Symptoms Of Overexp: SEE HEALTH HAZARDS.
Med Cond Aggravated By Exp: PRE-EXISTING SKIN, EYE AND RESPIRATORY
DISORDERS MAY BE AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE.
Emergency/First Aid Proc: EYE: TEARING FROM EYE IRRIT. REMOVE TO FRESH AIR.

Control Measures
===================================
Respiratory Protection: NORMALLY NOT NECESSARY.
A NIOSH/MSHA APPROVED
ORGANIC VAPOR CANISTER MAY BE USED.
Ventilation: LOCAL EXHAUST:TO PREVENT EYE IRRITATION. MECHANICAL (GENERAL)
:LARGE AMOUNT:USED TO 2PPM.
Protective Gloves: VINYL (POLYETHYLENE)NON-STICKING GLOVES.
Eye Protection: SAFETY GLASSES & SIDE SHIELD.
Other Protective Equipment: RUBBER APRON TO PROTECT CLOTHING.

Health and Safety: Resins

Dateline: 08/25/98

Composite materials pose health hazards, both in their uncured and in their
cured forms. These hazards, though, shouldn't scare you away from the
materials: with proper precautions, the risks can be minimized and even
eliminated.

The first article in the series covers resins and related materials.

Most resins are skin sensitizers, meaning that symptoms can develop or become
worse after repeated or prolonged contact. I have actually seen a few people
who have become so sensitized that they cannot be in the same room as uncured
resins.

"Some contact hazards may not be obvious at first. A few years ago I was
holding a small piece of wood in place while someone else applied a
cyanocrylate (superglue) to it. Some of the adhesive got on one of my
fingers, and when the technician sprayed an accelerator, the adhesive
immediately exothermed. Not only did I have a tough time getting the cured
adhesive off of my finger, but I also got a small burn in the process."

HERE IS A LINK IF YOU WANT:

 <A HREF="http://composite.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa980825.htm">Click
here: Health and Safety: Resins - Composite Materials Date: 08/25/98
</A>

Hope some of you find this to be useful.

Bill Simon
Phoenix