Question for Mr. Bremmer

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:39:15 -0500

Mr. Bremmer,

Yesterday I tuned a 20-year-old Cable spinet, 3/4 step flat. I used the SAT
II, but was not really satisfied with the tuning after the pitch raise and
two subsequent tunings. It seemed that the tenths formed by the the upper
bass and midrange notes were beating too fast. It sounded better than when I
had gotten there, and since it went through such a pitch raise, I wanted to
wait a few weeks before I return to try to make it sound better.

The reason I write you is because you seem to be the resident expert on
historical temperaments, which apparently are better for these small pianos.
Do you recommend any particular temperament for this piano? I am scheduled
to return in 3 months. In the meantime, I have ordered Jorgensen's book on
tuning. I hope to read about historical temperaments there, and practice on
one that will be suitable for the Cable. If you have any thoughts, and the
time to express them, they would be appreciated.

John Formsma

P.S. The owner of the piano is not all that musically adept, so I am wanting
to experiment on this piano. I think all she will notice is the unisons and
octaves, but I am not even sure about that. One who gets her piano tuned
once in 10 years is not likely to have much pitch discernment, and probably
plays within a three octave span. Anyway...I would enjoy experimenting with
a historical temp.