low quality, and high quality

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 08:34:43 -0400

At 11:13 PM 4/8/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Do you really expect everyone to jump on your bandwagon and say " Hell yes!
>Let's stop working on these pianos that actually need fixing!"
>>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Hell Yes !

I'm with André 100%  ! !

Why should we work on clunkers when we are up our ears in
pianos which are of a higher quality.

Do you criticize the Mercedes garage for not persueing every
repair out there?

There is plenty of work to go around, the work I choose is the
work I perfer to do.  That is why I am not in another line of work,
I perfer this one, and consequently have concentrated my
workload to pianos I perfer to work on.

It was not always that way. I took everything that came along for
20 years, that's where experience is derived. Now that I have that
experience, I can be more selective.

If I do not want to spot replace broken plastic hammer flanges
because the owner does not want to replace the entire set plus
the damper flanges, I refer them to a tuner who likes to spend time
running around and stockpiling little parts for this.

I do not have to leave my house. My shop is here and I have all
the work I need from referrals by these tuners for big repairs
because they can't do them beacuse they are too busy running
around putting out fires.  Tuning calls I get I refer to them and I tell
the customer that the tuner can also fix that sticky key.

I still do "mercy work" as Ron put it from time to time or a trade-in
which requires more work than it's worth to make an affordable
piano for someone.

>If a technician feels a moral obligation to attend to all the pianos of
>the world, God bless them. I don't feel that need, just give me a steady
>diet of the good ones and I will suffer in silence.
>Regards to all,     Ed Foote

I am not  Mother Theresa, I have an obligation to my family to earn
enough to keep us out of the poor house and then some.

Speaking of which ; . .

        off to work . . .