Touchy Young Chang

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:46:31 -0700

Mike McCoy wrote:

> Hi List folk,
>
>  Just returned from a 1985 YC F116 upright and I was told "the previous
> tuner said the pins are VERY tight so it needs to be tuned very often".
> What I found was the majority of the pins in the treble were tight, some
> extremely...all very jumpy and maybe 6 that were extremely loose, from
> the treble break on down the majority were what I consider average, not
> very tight, a few very loose and a few extremely tight and again, all
> jumpy. Unison tuning was a bear on the notes with 3 varying degrees of
> pin torque. We talked about Dampp Chaser and gave her the brochure.
>
> Is this common or not for a 14yr old YC?
>
> DO I assume correctly the a Dampp Chaser system will help at least a
> little?
> Will a standard front system fit in there? Didn't look deep enough for a
> tank to me.
>
> Thanks folks....
>
> --
> Mike McCoy
> So Central Pa Chapter 170
> Middletown, Pa
> Mailto:mjmc@ibm.net
Mike,

It's slightly possible that a D-C system might help some of the pins,
but probably at the expense of the others.  If it raises the level of
humidity from what it ususally is, it might tighten all the pins and if
it lowers it, it might loosen them.  However, it is not likely to
tighten the ones that need it and at the same time loosen the tight
ones.  Personlly, I think it will have negligible effect, except
possibly to keep things from getting any worse with seasonal changes.

To give the previous tuner the benefit of the doubt (which I always try
to do), perhaps he/she was not accurately quoted.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA