Kimball Mystery - Solved!!

Robert W. Beck rwbrpt@mindspring.com
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:08:54 -0400

List!
The screws in the end panels of Kimball uprights are cosmetic "fixes"! The
holes were created by the mounting of the cabinets on transport dollies
(virtually hundreds in use) for shipment by company trailers to the main
piano plants at West Baden/French Lick, IN. The piano assembly plants were
aprox. 26 miles from the cabinet divisions in Jasper, IN. The oft discussed
"fix" is not noteworthy, but expedient!
I hope this clears up the "mystery". The pianos could not be shipped with
"open screw holes"! The company decided to fill the holes with screws as a
quick solution to redesigning the whole cabinet handling system that ran at
better than 250 a day!!

Bob Beck,
A former "insider"