low quality, and high quality

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 19:22:01 -0300

Hi Ron,
Like all of you, I also prefer to work on good pianos.
However I have a different outlook on the klunkers.
I work in a mainly rural area. Not everyone makes a good wage.
Sometimes all that can be afforded, is the klunker. There is usually a child
wanting to take lessons.
I feel that I am doing a required service, in getting the piano to pitch, and
operational for a child, who might otherwise be discouraged from music. Because
of an untuned piano, with not all the notes working.
That look of pleasure on the childs face, when all the notes play, and sound as
they think they should, makes up for the frustration of working on a less than
adequate instrument.
I tell them that if the child shows promise they should be on the lookout for a
better piano. But they will have time to look around, and get the proper one for
them, at the right price.
There are other people in the world that do not make the big wages,and they
deserve music too.
All of us, don't have the luxury of a large population base, of high income
earners.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.