Bass strings in Overdrive!

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:34:39 -0700

btrout@desupernet.net wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've experienced two pianos (different name brands) with the same
> problem.  They break bass string after bass string after bass string...

You probably already know that Mapes makes sets of strings "modified to
prevent breakage."  They have a larger core with a smaller winding.  The
sound is obviously not as good as the originals, but sometimes that's a
lesser consideration.

The real problem in many of these cases, however, is that the pianist
can't hear her/himself over the miked choir, drums and electronic
instruments.  If the piano can be miked with two powerful speakers
blasting directly at the pianist, the problem is solved.  If they can't
hear the other instruments/voices, they'll go a bit easier on the piano.

You think I'm kidding?

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA