Refinishing fiasco (story)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:07:04 -0400

Clyde, I've only experienced -through- your first paragraph, not the
Strings-R-Us portion.

There seems to be a tendency to call the piano technician last, not first.
In my example, the client had found a deal on a grand... the piano having
lived the earlier portion of its life in a night club. The case was
distressed (ugly), so before delivery to their home, they had it dropped
off at the refinisher. Of course, I have no knowledge of any of this until
later... when I get a call to "tune" the piano in the home.

No one had considered the ramifications of buying a night-club piano other
than the finish. Needless to say, I didn't have to open my tool kit. I hate
being the heavy on these things.

I respectfully suggest that you remain "uninvolved".

At 07:22 AM 4/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>When I got home yesterday a note on my desk said, "Mrs. S, piano
>strings" and included a phone number.  I called Mrs. S, with whom I had
>no former contact.  Seems they bought a 1930's baby grand piano cheap,
>and they wanted it to look better, so they took it to a furniture
>refinishing man (I'll call him Mr. M, but she didn't give me his name)
>because he would charge only $750 to refinish it.
[snip]
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
Yes, I'm familiar with Brambach... why do you ask?
	-Jim Harvey, 1974