Dampp-Chaser string

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 18:17:22 -0400

Patrick, permit me to pick on your situation... not on you. Then I'll
summarize.

Pianist said it was tuned regularly.
* The combination of 1/4 step is possible with regular tunings, depending
on environment and one's interpretation of "regular". Of course, having the
piano become its own hot box certainly helps!

The tuner said to "Keep it plugged in all the time".
* Hmm. Regular tunings, and what the (former) tuner said. Are you the new
guy? Did the client move, or decide to use you because of the other tuner's
work?

You discovered a "dammp-chaser humidifier with the heat bar, but no
humidifier".
* Pick one or the other, you can't have a humidifier with no humidifier.
BTW, it's Dampp-Chaser, like the subject line. (I often have the same
problem).

Summary (IMO)
- Malicious intent is not always the case. Once upon a time, regardless of
best intentions, only the heater rods were available -- including from
Dampp-Chaser. Both the tuner and the client were doing what they thought
best at the time. Those rods can look new for a very long time.
- There are heater rod 'clones' available that don't offer the Humidistat.
- I often have clients move into my area, and I find only the [older]
heating element, often attached by the most unusual methods, plugged in,
and a previous tuner's instructions to leave it plugged in. Invariably, the
client has moved from a location that this installation actually worked! In
some cases, the piano could possibly have used a higher wattage unit or
multiple rods... still without the need for a Humidistat. In the new
location, however, I advise them to (a) complete the installation, (b)
seasonally plug/unplug the unit (this never works); or (c) leave the unit
unplugged.
- If I find that the previous tuners instructions are more deeply ingrained
than mine, (as in item 'c' isn't being done), I'll wrap the cord and stuff
it in the bottom board. If that fails to work, I'll cut the plug. If that
doesn't work, I remove the entire unit. In case this seems harsh, I have my
reasons.

I don't want to suddenly be... the "former" tuner.

At 04:19 PM 4/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
>More on the Dampp-Chaser thang
>
>Last week I tuned a Sohmer studio and the piano was a quarter step flat.
>the pianist said she was having it tuned regularly.  At first  I thought it
>was wild fluctuations in temperature, but I discovered a dammp-chaser
>humidifier with the heat bar, but no humidifier.  The pianist said that the
>tuner had said to "Keep it plugged in all the time"  Arrgggghh!  That was
>the ticket.
>
>Why do tuners not sell the whole idea when they have the chance?  At least
>they would not be contributing to the ruination of many a decent piano!
>
>Peace Ya'll
>Patrick

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.