Dampp-Chaser

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:24:16 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth <HOOD@uwplatt.edu>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Sunday, April 04, 1999 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: Dampp-Chaser

>A comment on the winter dryness problem:  it's well known that a decent
>humidity level in the winter is very much more healthful for people, pets
and
>furniture than a dry house.  We keep ours at as close to 40% as possible,
which
>for the last several winters has not been hard, even here in Wisconsin.
The
>condensation on windows, outside walls etc results from contact between a
cold
>place on the wall, due to poor or inadequate insulation, and that nice warm
>humid air.  The colder it is outside the more moisture will collect.
Windows
>can be helped by really good (not aluminum framed) stormwindows, and a
sheet of
>clear plastic on the inside.  This is often done here in Wis.  In the
>Scandinavian countries we've seen triple-glazing, literally three windows,
>which works well.  There are still drawbacks, like the doors, where there
is an
>inevitable air leak, jamming and not closing well.
>We have a house full of good furniture, harpsichords, and antique
>pianos.  We do not get colds, and the cat does not get itchy and miserable.
>There are costs.  You have to decide I guess.  They haven't designed
>Dampp-chasers for people to wear around their necks yet.
>Margaret Hood

Your piano, furniture and pets love it but you are ruining the house.  If
you somehow manage to maintain a 40% indoor humidity when it gets below 20
degrees then the condensation you are seeing and defeating around you
windows and doors is the same condensation that you are not seeing inside
the walls.  I sure hope you weren't serious about the 40% all of the time.
You need to let that fall some when the outside temp gets below 20.

Glenn.