Dampp-Chaser

paulmcrpt@juno.com paulmcrpt@juno.com
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:09:37 -0400

On Sat, 03 Apr 1999 19:11:20 -0400 piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca (John Ross)
writes:
>Hi Debbie,
>The only time a piano would not benefit from a properly installed,
>Dampp-Chaser system, is if it were in a stable environment of
>humidity
>and temperature, year round.
>That is just my take on it.
>I know in this area of the country, they are a definate benefit.
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
>P.S. I know of one tech who will not install them, because he says it
>cuts down on the tuning business for him.
>
>DebNorthey@AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> Only have it installed if your piano needs it.
>> Debbie Northey
>> Downingtown, Pa

Dear List,

I hope that my take on this is of interest to anyone who has a negative
impression of Dampp-Chasers.  Once upon a time I would have said the same
thing as Debbie from Downingtown.  Then I read (in the Journal about a
year or two ago I think).  That to keep the humidity in the normal home
between 40 & 60 percent year 'round is nearly impossible.  Furthermore,
if you do, the extra moisture in the air in the winter-time will cause
condensation inside of the walls and make the windows sweat and run.  I
can attest to this first hand due to a bad experience with a furnace
humidifier shortly after I was married.  This makes even being in the
room uncomfortable let alone the possibility of severe damage to the
house.  Of course, more moisture in the air in winter is more healthful
and better for all the furniture, but to have the interior of the piano
held close to 42% year-'round is a goal that only Dampp-Chaser can
achieve.

I used to tell customers that had only a dehumidifier bar in a piano with
marginally loose pins to unplug it and forget it.  Since the time that
those installations were done so much has changed that it just is not the
same product anymore.  I sell and promote only full systems.  The
advances made recently like the smart bar and the new status LEDs have
made this a complete system that covers all of the problems caused by
lack of consumer knowledge.

IMHO get one.  Have it installed by someone who understands the system.
Don't expect to stop needing tunings at the same interval as before, but
do expect the tunings to stay usable for more of the six months between,
and remember that the six month tuning interval gives your technician a
chance to see the insides of your piano and possibly stop little problems
from becoming big ones.

Paul McMillin, RPT
Carlisle, PA