Setting the damper stop rail in a grand

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:23:30 EST

In a message dated 4/3/99 5:06:49 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Billbrpt@AOL.COM
writes:

<<   I'd never thought of clothespins there. However, I DO use them, cut
  off above the little slot for the closeline, to hold sample damper heads
  up while I'm setting the upstop rail.

  Avery >>

 This sounds like a good one for the Tools & Tips column, Avery.  I'll set it
 up as a question:

 Q.  I always set my damper stop rail in a grand by trial and error.  Does
 anyone have any jigs or techniques for doing this in a foolproof way?

 (Please, Avery tell us exactly how you do this, I am interested to know).

 Bill Bremmer RPT >>

With the action in the piano, play any sharp, and using the cloths pins, hold
the damper head up. I do this to two sharps in the bass, and two in each
section of the treble. It might be helpful if you know where the upstop rail
screws are located. You don't want the damper wire that is being held up in
the way of the screw. Once you have the damper heads held up by the cloths
pins, remove the action, and lower the  upstop rail so that it lays on top of
the damper lever. You don't want to put too much pressure on the rail, other
wise it will lower the damper levers. Tighten the screws, and your done. It
has worked very time for me.

Of course, in order for this to work properly, you have to have the damper
levers set at the right hight. But that's another story.

Willem Blees