Hide Glue

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:12:52 EST

John;
 I use hide glue quite frequently for hammer hanging, veneer work, etc.
I don't just throw the granules in the pot and turn the heat on, I soak them.
I don't know what either method does to the strength but the soaking does
alleviate little 'surprise' granules in the glue pot.  Also granules that
have been soaked create less of the scum, or skim, on the top of a fresh mix
of glue.  When I finish using the glue pot, and unplug the sucker, I try to
remember to take the cover off. If I don't remember........ in just a couple
of days I have a nice mold garden in the pot and I have to start all over
again.  I don't clean out the pot except when I have gotten a mold garden
going. When I need to replenish the amount of glue I just add granules and
cover with water until it is about a quarter inch over the glue granules. I
will let it sit all day/night and plug it in.............works for me.
Jim Bryant (FL)