Hide Glue

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 20:03:54 -0500

Hi John,

Hide glue may be prepared the way you describe. I have done it (two times)
before, but normally use an "extended" method (something related to hours,
not minutes). With no supporting facts, here's my take:

- longer exposure permits crystals and water to gel (become homogenized?)
at the crystal's natural absorption rate;
- ambiance is our friend, it can work for us;
- longer exposure prevents "shock" -- water and glue are heated (as a unit)
at the same rate, instead of the water heating/dissolving/forcing the glue
crystals;
- the preparation process lends itself to what should be a steady but more
relaxed work environment -- the shop. (Do we nuke Titebond to rush the
results?);
- preparation for longer exposure is constant; forced preparation leaves
one wondering if the mix is right (yeah, I know it -should- be the same,
but often it isn't).
- longer exposure absolutely eliminates "crunchy" surprises, whether
consumed or applied (nothing more frustrating than having little bumps
under veneer work, eh!);

Pick one or more above, as applicable.

Other, related:
- I've never tried any tests of strength or long-term stability between the
two methods.
- I use the 'miniscus' (is that right?) to determine how much water covers
the glue flakes/crystals.
-  After becoming aware of other vendors/choices, I quit using the nasty
bottom-of-the-barrel glue flakes -- the $3.00 per truck load type.
 - I'm thrifty, but not to the point of false economy. I don't keep adding
water to the batch for days/weeks, until I end up with colored water, or
until unknown life forms start growing. During routine breaks, I use a glue
pot condom (Yuban part #C-3244) to minimize evaporation.

JMO (someday I hope to have a JMHO).

At 06:32 PM 4/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>I seem to recollect, that when making hide glue, the granules should be
>left overnight with just enough water to cover them.
>What is the rational, behind this?  If you heat the stuff up
>immediately, it combines, and looks like, hide glue should.
>Just wondering.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
  Redmond, WA -- Microsoft announced today that the
  official release date for the new operating system
  "Windows 2000" will be delayed until the second
  quarter of 1901.  -From Penny Pennington (p2)