Pleyel Grand

Rob & Karen Loomis rkloomis@shaysnet.com
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 19:12:29 -0500

I need to do an estimate of value on a 5 1/2' Pleyel grand.

It has "188464" inlaid into top edge of the treble cheek just behind the
music desk slide, just before the bentside. It has "76,212" stamped next
to and parallel to the top line of tuning pins. This is also stamped
into the bottom of the case [where there was also a 4 digit number
stamped]. It has a continuous bent rim, 88 keys and an early rival of
our modern double repetition mechanism. I believe the date of
manufacture to be 1930 but the family lore of the owner has gone for the
1880 that the "76,212" would track to.

Can anyone tell me of the practices of Pleyel through those years?
Anyone hazard a guess as to intrinsic value? It is in poor but savable
condition.

Many Thanks-

rob loomis
leyden, ma