Setting the damper stop rail in a grand

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 15:48:28 -0500

Jon, I tried it that way, but found there wasn't room for me and the action
in the cavity at the same time. Besides, it's dark back there!

Just kidding. I use Ed's way, more or less, on upstop rails that require
lowering [all S&S, whatever others]. On new or newer pianos, that for
whatever reason are "jamming" damper levers into the upstop rail, I use a
combination mental "picture"... and guessing. Over time, I must have become
proficient, since I rarely have to adjust twice.

At 12:22 PM 4/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Measure height of key end felt from the key bed while the front of the key is
>down, (how high the back of the key lifts).    This is how high the
underlever will
>be lifted.
>
>Set the stop rail so that the underlever is raised sufficiently beyond that
>measure.
>
>Jon Page

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC