Jazz tuning style? ET, of course

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 14:41:44 -0500

Bill, I had the same initial interpretation from Mark Potter's post.
However, after thinking about it, I'm going with David Renaud's version
this time -- the stretching part in particular rings a familiar bell.

Speaking of jazz, just who -did- tune for Vince Geraldi (sp) anyway? I've
often wondered if the occasional 'wolf' unisons were intentional or if he
just liked that/those notes a lot and beat 'em down. It seems to be common
to all his recordings.

At 01:42 PM 4/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
><< Anybody have any thoughts on what exactly he may be referring to?  >>
>
>Well, if you go with what *most* people seem to think, it would just *have*
>to be ET, wouldn't it?  So you can "jump in" to B, F# or Db at anytime and
>not have any reason to do so other than to just be able to "jump in" and not
>have anyone be aware of it.  It's what they call "complete freedom of
>modulation".  The slightest shade of "color" would disturb him greatly.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
Tuning is a means to an end