Religious Experience

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:23:37 -0500

This seems like an appropriate day to pass this bit of humor along.

Subject: Religious Experience

The other day I went up to the local Christian book store where I saw a
"Honk if you love Jesus" bumper sticker. I was feeling
particularly sassy that day because I had just come from a
thrilling choir performance at church, so I bought that sticker and put
it on the back bumper of my car.  I am really glad that I did. What an
uplifting experience followed.

I was stopped at the light of a busy intersection, just lost in
thought about the Lord, and I did not notice that the light had changed.
It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus or I may never have
noticed that the light had changed.  I found that lots of people love
Jesus. Why, the guy behind me started to honk like crazy and then
he leaned out of his window and screamed, "For the love of GOD,
GO!...GO! Jesus Christ Go!"

Everyone was honking. I leaned out my window, waved and smiled to
all those loving people. I even honked my horn a few times to
share in the love.  There must have been a man from Florida back
there because I heard him yelling something about a sunny beach. I
saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger
stuck up in the air.  When I asked my teenage son in the back seat
what this meant, he said that it was nothing, probably a Hawaiian
good luck sign or something. I have never even met a person from
Hawaii, so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign
back. My son burst into laughter, why, even he was enjoying the
love of this religious experience.

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment
that they got out of their cars and were walking towards me. I bet
they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but that is when
I noticed that the light had changed, so I waved one more time to
my loving brothers and sisters and drove through the intersection.

I was the only car that got across the intersection before the
light changed again and I felt kind of bad that I had to leave them and
all that love that we had shared so I slowed the car down, leaned out
the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one more
time as I drove away.  Praise the LORD for such wonderful folks!