Leveling a plate? Del? Ron? Anybody?

John Hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:02:46 -0500

you wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has a good technique for getting all of those
> dowels or blocks to come into contact with the bottom of the plate at
> the same time so that the plate isn't put under excessive stresses.   > Any thoughts???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Trout
> Quarryville, Pa.

Dear Brian,

I may be able to help you with a technique to reestablish the correct
heights of plate support dowels such as those found on Steinway and
Mason and Hamlin grands. The method I learned from Angelo Andino,
formerly with the belly department at Steinway, is fast and suitably
accurate. It doesn't require any of those overly elaborate setups that
were mentioned on this list earlier. Often over blown methods are done
more for an ego boost than with regard to efficiency. The method I will
explain below is essentially the same as that used originally in the
manufacturing process.
	During the pinblock to case fitting one or more spacer blocks supports
the plate at the tail. There is no soundboard in the case yet so the
spacers support the plate off of the rast. With Steinway pianos the
initial spacers are 10 to 12 mm thick. Plate height is checked in
various ways including string height and minimum dowel height (no less
than 7mm in the high treble and no less than 8mm everywhere else). Once
the Pin block is fitted to the case and the plate position is correct
the block is glued in. With the plate screwed to the block and the
spacer blocks in place the distance between each plate boss and the rast
is measured. I use a set of calibrated wood gauges. The dowel schedule
is noted on paper.
	The soundboard is ribbed, fitted to the case. With the soundboard dry
fit to case and the plate installed the indexing holes are drilled. Nose
bolts and plate lag holes are transferred to the board's surface as
well. The re-capped bridge is now glued to the board.  	Finding the
plate dowel height is now simple. Measure the thickness of the
soundboard at each lag hole mark. Subtract this from the rast height and
you now have the dowel height schedule. These measurements are then used
along with the wood gauges to set the bearing.
	The soundboard is dry fit to the rim with the gauges on top. Then the
plate is screwed to the block and clamped at every other bolt hole (go
bars are used to clamp the board to the belly rail). Bearing is set (for
more information see part four of my down bearing article in the Nov. 95
Journal). The bridge is notched pinned and the board is glued into the
case. The gauge blocks used as strand-ins for the dowels are used again
to test the dowel schedule and any changes noted (again see the article
for information on changing dowel heights). The dowels are cut to height
using metal gauges with holes in them. I have a set given to me by
Angelo that was used at the factory. They are made from mild steel about
three inches long by two inches wide. The corners are rounded and two
sets of 9/16" hole are drilled through spaced apart the distance between
the dowels. They are of various thickness' from 1/2mm to 2mm and are
used stacked together to arrive at the dowel height. A small veneer saw
is used to cut the dowels flush with the steel plates. It takes a lot of
text to describe what a few slides from my class "Efficient Techniques
for Soundboard Building" clearly shows.
	Another technique I had a chance to use recently comes from Greg Hulme
a friend and fine piano re-builder in Kansas City. I have been working
on a Bechstein A. I made and installed a new soundboard and pin block,
re-engineered the scale and made a new bridge that allowed for a smooth
string length transition at the breaks. After all this work I needed to
find the thickness of the plate support liners. The original liners were
removed without damage but were a little thin in the tail area. I
laminated spruce to the bottom of the liners so I could re-thickness
them. Greg's technique works with the soundboard already glued into the
case. The plate is screwed to the pin block and supported with the two
nose bolts in the hitch pin field.
	The nose bolts are adjusted until the plate is properly set. Use a
caliper to measure the height from the board surface to the top of the
plate through the plate lag holes. Note the dimensions. Remove the plate
and measure the thickness of the plate at each hole. Subtract this from
the heights and you now know the thickness of the liners. I planed the
liners to these measurements. You may find this technique useful when
the soundboard is already in the case. Just cut the old dowels flush
with the board, measure, drill for new dowels (Steinway's are 7/16"
diameter), glue them in and cut them with the steel gauges.

Sincerely,
John Hartman

John Hartman Pianos
Beacon New York