loose pins

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 19:46:58 EST

In a message dated 3/31/99 5:55:17 PM !!!First Boot!!!, plumb@execulink.com
writes:

<< Dear List,

 I have a Vose grand that needs about 20 pins tightened.  I am not in favor
 of doping and the plate holes are so small that there is no room to put in
 oversize pins.  Can I drill out the holes slightly, if so, how and with
 what?  Or is there a better method?  The owner is not willing to replace
 the block for cost reasons.

 Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
 Plumb Pianos >>

You can't "tighten" tuning pins. Have you tried an over sized pin. I can't
imagine a plate hole so small that a OOOO or OOOOO size tuning pin won't fit.
I certainly would not recommend drilling out the hoel. If you did that, you
would need to plug the hole, and redrill. And if the hole in the plate is so
small that you can't put in a larger tunign pin, there won't be enought room
for a plug.

The best solution is oversized pins or pin dope, (even though you don't like
it). If that doesn't work, then you will have to go with a new block. And if
the customer doesn't' want to pay for it, then refer back to my earlier post,
regarding making repairs that will "get you by."

Willem Blees.