lexan or plexiglass for soundboards?

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:24:19 -0600

>Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998
>From: Ron Nossaman
>Subject: Re: lexan or plexiglass for soundboards?
>
>I don't see any reason that a light weight synthetic material with a high
>strength/weight ratio, and a high elastic rebound rate wouldn't work in
>soundboards if it were set up right...

Ovation has already done this on their top line guitar:

"The neck, the top, the body. All the main components of the Adamas Q are
made completely of carbon fiber.  This makes the Q both very light and
extremely strong. The acoustic characteristics can be controlled by varying
the thickness of the composite in key areas. We've chosen to give it a a
balanced and even response from the lowest sub-harmonic to the highest
partial. In construction and performance, the Q is in a league of its own."

http://www.kamanmusic.com/ovation/html/guitars.html

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
USA

PS - Sorry about all that previous lengthy signature stuff.