alternatives for soundboards

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:50:44 +0100

List,

Somehow, I am convinced that the well known good sound of spruce is
irreplaceble.
I have been a tech for quite a long time, and I have seen many pianos with
many different designs and materiels.
Also, I have played cello and bass for a long time, instruments with "the
real stuff" and built with plywood.
If we listen carefully to pianos with a plywood soundboard and compare them
with a "spruce piano", I think we must come to the conclusion that the
latter sounds best. The same for violins, celli, and basses.

I think that it will not be possible to find a substitute for the wonderful
spruce, but I do think that it will be worth the effort to find something
"else", just for the sake of our dying woods.

In any case, I am also convinced that the answer is not "plastic". I think
the answer lies in "living" materiels, not dead ones.

The piano person in Holland who was responsible for the "chrystal
soundboard" was not able to convince the real pianists, and I am sure he
never will.. with his plastic soundboard.
Somebody with a developed taste knows how to distinguish (how do you spell
that nasty word?) between fake and real.

Another thought :

If you have the chance to work on a REALLY magnificent Steinway (or other
wonderful) grand, isn't that convincing enough? Isn't the thought of plastic
or plywood a nice joke then?

Nevertheless, I am open to new ideas, but somehow it seemed necessary for me
to put my thoughts down in these words.

André