Pricing fixing

Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:07:26 -0800

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> << When, where, or how doesn't matter. Any discussion of pricing by a group of
>  people within the same industry is illegal in the U.S. The feds call it price
>  fixing. ]
>
>  Dave >>
>
> What is so sad about this, as Del mentioned, it goes against our basic rights
> of freedom of speech. Not only that, but although is appears that it is
> illegal for independent people in the same industry who belong to a Guild to
> discuss prices, it is perfectly legal for independent electricians, plumbers,
> brick payers, etc, who belong to a union, to not only discuss how much they
> are going to charge, but set a fee. Now where is the justice in that?
>
> Wim Blees

It is only price fixing if we use those discussions to 'fix' prices at some
artificial level as a group.  You know, like those electricians, plumbers, banks,
etc., do regularly.  An open discussion about the time it takes to do a task and
general pricing is not price fixing.  Our own prices are 'fixed' by our overhead,
by how much we have to pay in wages and materials, by how much profit we want to
make, and -- perhaps more than anything else -- our results.  What someone else
charges for their work is irrelevant to us when it comes to making up our own
price list.  It is of academic interest only.

I refuse to live in fear of our own government, no matter how out of control it
may be right now.  I would prefer to actively campaign against and vote those out
of office that do not regard our personal rights above those of a bloated
bureaucracy with too much time on its hands.  There is a lot to be said for at
least some aspects of the Libertarian point of view.

Del