lexan or plexiglass for soundboards?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:57:25 EST

<< Hi
 I have wondered about this for several years, I wonder if a synthetic
material
 be used to replace spruce soundboards and has anyone in the group
experimented
 with soundboards?

 Lexan(I am not sure if I spelled that correctly) is used in high power
speaker
 boxes. It looks sort of like Plexiglas. It seems to be very responsive as far
 as amplification and vibration goes.

 I was thinking that an experiment could be made with a cheap old upright that
 has a solid piano action, By tearing it down, Gluing the ribs to a 1/4" sheet
 of lexan (or similar material) forcing crown into the material, installing
the
 bridges & restring the old piano and finding out how loud the tone would be.
 certainly think it would not suffer cracks like the old spruce does.

  Who knows........ it might be very loud and sweet or it might be completely
 dead!

 Also I would like a source for ABS plastic hammer butts. I have heard about
 them and would like to try a set on a player piano to see how well they would
 hold up in a high stress situation.

 I would appreciate your thoughts.
 Andy Taylor >>

Andy:

There is a technician in Holland who has done just that. Some of you Dutch
techs want to give him the information on what Kees has done.

Wim Blees