Trichords tuning

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:23:29 -0500

Hi Karen,

Since my hearing is going the way of my hair, away, I have been using my
SAT to help me tune octaves and unisons in the high treble.  I find that
the SAT II wants to tune the top half octave higher than I like I want
to do them be hear.

I like to have between 1 and 1.5 cents stretch in the octave and then
tune the unisons pure.  I find that on some pianos that I have
difficulty hearing when the unison is in tune so I double check it with
the SAT.

That is when I started noticing that often my ear and the SAT do not
agree as to what is in unison.  That is when I noticed that if I tune
pure unison with stopped lights I do not like the result aurally and
have to retune, thereby, lowering one string.

This is a small amount but I do not like the idea of lowering the pitch
on a unison so I find the one that wants to be flat and tune it to the
SAT and the other by ear and the final one tunes up nicely.  If I cannot
get a good image on one string I tune it as best I can then change to
another string for final analysis.

I use my ears all the way except in the top two octaves, then if I have
a question about a unison I will change to another string and retune
using that other string.  I usually tune the left string as I go up but
I will use the right string often and on rare occasions I will use the
middle string.

The ultimate test is the way it sounds.

                    Newton
                    nhunt@jagat.com