Trichords tuning

Kgj38@AOL.COM Kgj38@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:10:24 EST

Since I am an ETD tuner, this thread is of great interest to me. Please keep
posting your experience with the SAT.  Sometimes when I'm tuning I think I'm
going crazy because my ear doesn't agree with the SAT.  I appreciate
everyone's input.
Karen Johnson
Rochester, MN

<<  I agree with that,  I tune each outside string to a SAT, and then the
middle
 by ear.  The coupled motion, along with all the other variables that will
 exist in three strings over a bridge,etc,  makes a clear unison a very
complex
 phase problem, of which the ear is going to be the final judge.
     It is rare that the middle string will not stop the SAT when it is tuned
 aurally, but there are cases where the best sounding unison shows the dial to
 be moving all around.  I always assume that there was something out of step
 with the particular partial that the SAT was reading.
     The staggered Steinway spacing on some of the Models C and D  responds
 well to tuning the center string to the SAT, and then both outside strings to
 it.  I still have to listen to all three to clear them.   >>