Trichords tuning

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:15:00 -0700

Newton Hunt wrote:

> ...I think this is because you can tune one string, say to an SAT, tune the
> unison and it is out.  I have yet to come to an understanding of this, I
> just know it is so.  Weird!

My guess is that the ear listens to the dominant coincident partials
whereas the SAT might be listening to a different set of partials. Then,
if there are any inharmonicity differences between the strings of a
unison, the ear will want the fundamentals tuned slightly differently
for a quiet unison.

Makes me think of a model C Steinway with the different speaking lengths
in the lower treble section - for an intentional beat in every unison?

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA