Hello, pitch raising, etc.

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 19:22:02 +0000

In article <199811251722.TAA00912@mail.global.co.za>, Brian Lawson
<lawsonic@global.co.za> writes

>I would be interested in knowing the average cost of tunings are around the
>world, here it is about R240 (that is SA Rand), at current US$ exchange
>that is $42, though I believe buying power of a Dollar and a Rand are
>closer. ie. a Big Mac here costs R8.60 = $1.50,  does it cost that in USA.
> Back in 1980 when in UK cost of a tuning was about 5 pounds, what now?
>
>BTW,There is no Guild or Association here in SA so standards are up to the
>individual tuner - what reputation does he want.
>
>Brian Lawson
>Johannesburg,
>South Africa

Hi Brian

Welcome to the list,  £5.00 seems a bit on the low side even for the UK
ABPT & PTA recommended prices for 1998 tuning 4 pianos a day is

£24.50 north England
£38.00 South

I charge £28.00 for a regular customer and £35.00 for a new one, that is
for a fine. I only charge for pitches on new customers and old customers
who have the piano tuned once a year.  Then it depends how much I like
them and their piano.   Or as my wife says  "she must have had a short
skirt on".

BTW I live in the North of England.

Take Care

Barrie,

Barrie,

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK Piano Page                              |