Pitch Anticipation

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 00:03:12 -0500

At 10:34 PM 11/25/98 EST, you wrote:

>> Even now with the school I service I will tune them (hang on to your hats)
>>  as much as six beats sharp (September).
>>

>I'm afraid I can't go along with this one. When you tune it that sharp, it's
>out of tune. Standard pitch instruments played with the piano are going to
>sound bad. When it fianally drops to A=440, it will have fallen unevenly, so
>it's still out of tune. So essentially, you have regularly serviced pianos
>which are NEVER in tune.

Key word: regularly serviced. not applicable They will drop to within
accompianing
ranges in a month or so. So what happens in November when the pitch drops ,
flat. Is that any better? Still out of tune. December = more flat. All that
extra pin
 wrenching to maintain a frequency consensus when there is no real need for
absolute. And that was an extreme scenario.

I maintain a tuning range. 440 is not written in stone. There is not a cosmic
force which everthing must coincide with. PITCH IS RELATIVE.

>If the biggest problem is a school that refuses to budget for pitch raises,
>RCTs pitch raise program is accurate enough that you could do one pass on a
>piano that was 20 cents flat and end up with a servicable tuning for most
>school purposes.
>
>Dave Bunch

I didn't say they would not pay for pitch raises. but what good is pitch
a-retentiveness
when that money would be better spent on action maintenence. And I am not
about to
spend big bucks on a machine for something I can do myself. That is not the
point.

Three of these grands have the pins holding on by their teeth, literally.
Come February,
they are a nudge away from losing tension. So if I dillegently persue the
Golden
Pitch by constantly wrenching the pins back and forth then I am decreasing
longevity
of the pinblock's hold on the pin.

Minimal pin displacement, maximum pitch range placement. The pianos survive
most
the winter at 440. It is the humidity of the summer which kicks the pitch
high for the early
Autumn.

Go with the flow,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
Thanks go to Michael Wathen for placing the keypress on the Wapin site
http://www.wapin.com/clips/page.htm