Hello, pitch raising, etc.

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:39:54 +0200

Dear List members, Hi, my name is Brian Lawson and I have just joined this
list. I am a Tuner/Technician in South Africa, although born and trained in
UK at London College of Furniture, City & Guilds.

I have read the recent messages on pitch raising, my few cents on it (SA
cents) is to charge the customer for it if it is closer to a semitone or
more out, which would mean having to go out to the customer again after a
short time to give another tuning. These type of customers are (usually)
new and have not had their pianos tuned for some time or have bought a
piano privately, as the majority of customers who have their pianos tuned
regularly have their pianos on pitch.

I would be interested in knowing the average cost of tunings are around the
world, here it is about R240 (that is SA Rand), at current US$ exchange
that is $42, though I believe buying power of a Dollar and a Rand are
closer. ie. a Big Mac here costs R8.60 = $1.50,  does it cost that in USA.
 Back in 1980 when in UK cost of a tuning was about 5 pounds, what now?

BTW,There is no Guild or Association here in SA so standards are up to the
individual tuner - what reputation does he want.

Brian Lawson
Johannesburg,
South Africa