Tuning Cold Pianos

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 03:27:06 -0600

The piano should be fine. If it is only cold for 2 hours, six hours should
be plenty of time.
	Once upon a time a piano (CP-80) sat on an out door Greek Ampitheater
stage and literally baked in the warm California sun for 3 hours.  The
roadie opened it up and I could feel the rush of heat in my face, but not
being experienced,  I almost burned my hand when laying it on the plate to
see how hot it had gotten. The show was in two hours.
	Nearby was a fog machine, the fifty gallon barrel  type with a clothes
dryer outlet hose attached. There was no dry ice in it, but the air
comming out of the hose seemed cool, so into the piano it went with  two
space blankets over it.   For the next hour and half I monitored the
pitch.  Just when I was ready to call for some dry ice, it got back to
440. Then gave it the usual touch up, and the show went on, wo missing a
beat.

You asked....
	> PS. Would heavy-heavy quilted moving pads >>         >enough for the
1.5 hr drive from Boston?
>         Ok 2 hours, I forgot the coffee and doughnut stop. :-)

Pianos should ALWAYS be quilted when moved.  Or if they ARE professional,
it should arrive neatly quilted on an 8 foot sled.  Well maybe they won't
quilt all the way down on the under side.  (there are some hand holds
there) You better notify them and ask if this can be done, and tip them
accordingly if they do. Or at least ask them to drape extras over it after
it is
loaded onto the truck.

ric

> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>