Raising pitch and raising prices???

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:51:15 PST

I am starting to re-think my position on pitch raises due to the
feedback on the list.  Currently I charge an additional amount on top of
the tuning fee if a piano requires one, two or even three pitch raises.
The additional fee is a set fee no matter how many pr's are performed.
I don't get much hassle or negative feedback from clients about this
because I take time to explain the process.

Many of you have made it clear that you don't charge any additional
amount on top of your tuning fees and then encourage the client to have
their piano tuned shortly afterwards.

I like that idea because it encourages clients to keep up regular
service with their pianos but I personally fear many of my new customers
would regard that first-time experience as "he didn't do a very good
job.  Why should it take 2 tunings?   Other piano tuners didn't do it
this way."  I can envision this in my mind when getting into the car
after the tuning even though I've explained why it will take two
tunings.  And then they choose not to call back in two months.   They
will have guests over and one of them is a pianist that plays their
piano and makes a coment " This piano sounds terrible.  Who tuned it?"

This is why I choose to raise pianos up to a=440 and perform a fine job
on the actual tuning process as well.  I can't leave until it's perfect
(relatively of course).  ----  One of my assets doubles as a weakness.

Does anyone do it like this? -------- Automatically charge only one set
fee for all clients - this fee would cover a full pitch raise or two and
a full tuning.   Then give a discount to the clients who choose regular
servicing.  They would love to be "rewarded" for this!

Jay Mercier
Piano Technician / Piano Teacher
Glenwood, MN

>I am amazed at the recent price discussion of PR's.  A pitch raise can
and
>should be done in a quick 15-25 minutes.  Charging anything more for
punitive
>damages is ludicrous.  I personally charge an extra $25 for a PR and
that can
>be done in the time mentioned before.  If it is a PR and tune of 100
cents or
>more I explain the possible string breakage and actually have small
print on
>the invoice that states any piano older than 1950 may be subject to
string
>breakage as well as adverse conditions and so on... then I state that I
can
>not gauranty stability.  NO one questions that.  I will always state
the piano
>should be tuned again in 2-3 months.  You guessed it, no one hardly
ever calls
>back for that tune.  NO one should be penalized or forced to pay for
three or
>four tunings because you don't know how, or won't pitch raise in one
pass.  I
>am not speaking of excessive overpull, just bring it up... then tune.
Then
>tell 'em you'll need to come back in 2-3 months to stabalize the piano.
If