spring problems

ARTHUR CHICKERING chikring@midcoast.com
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:52:39 -0500

I recently replaced the hammerbutts,shanks and hammers on a Mason & =
Hamlin screwstringer upright.  Now the piano has two problems.  The =
extra flat spring on the back of the jack is hanging up on the back =
catch felt and the hammerbutt springs are too weak and the hammers are =
too slow on the return.I am planning on replacing the hammerbutt springs =
and was wondering if there were any tricks to replacing these springs =
with the dampers and hammers on the action.  =20
I read in the archives that the flat spring on the jack hanging up on =
the catcher felt could be a problem but no solutions were given.  The =
customer is not happy with the way the piano plays and wants me to fix =
it.  Any help the list could give me in solving these two problems would =
be graetly appreciated.

Thanks,

Arthur

7