Tuning Cold Pianos

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:54:21 -0600

Hi Jon,
           If you double blanket the instrument on both sides, the piano it
self will act like it's own space heater. Make sure the movers don't stop
for coffee, and you should'nt experience too many problems, if fact the
bigger problem could be rough handling.  We move concert pianos all the
time at temperatures of 30 degrees below zero and some times to the Hockey
arena for Rock shows.   On stage keep the piano closed and tarped to the
floor unless in use. the less movement of air around the unit the more
stable it will be. I have found extended periods of lighting set up with
the piano uncovered a bigger problem, it's suprising how much heat those
things can pack out.
Regards Roger

At 08:17 AM 24/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>In a previous post I mentioned a performance comming up
>on Sunday, Dec. 20. A change in the piano's time scheduling
>has occurred.
>
>Performance @ 3:00 pm
>Doors open	     2:30
>Rehersal	     1:30 to 2:30
>Tuning	     be finished before 1:30
>Piano delivery     9:00 am
>
>The C7 will be tuned sometime prior to leaving Boston, I requested
>440 since last time it was tuned just before delivery at 442.
>
>I doubt the temperature that day will be in the 60's so I am anticipating
>a thermal affect. Hopefully condensation will not form on the surfaces.
>
>I'll keep my fingers crossed and touch-up offenders. Any attempts
>to change pitch would be like shovelling sand against the tide.
>
>If the movers are on time (gulp) I figure it's a showdown at High Noon.
>
>Wish me luck,
>
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>PS. Would heavy-heavy quilted moving pads insulate the piano
>        enough for the 1.5 hr drive from Boston?
>        Ok 2 hours, I forgot the coffee and doughnut stop. :-)

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.