Yamaha Little Red Schoolhouse (longish but goodish)

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:57:27 -0600

Dearest List,
I've just returned from the Little Red Schoolhouse training program at the
Yamaha Headquarters in Buena Park, CA (outside of L.A.).  Before I left
home I posted a message asking if anyone had been and all who responded had
enjoyed it very much. I promised I'd report back here. Back in 1987 my
chapter purchased the 37 Step grand regulation video that LaRoy Edwards had
done.  Since I had just started in the business I watched it for hours,
taking notes to carry with me (a synopsis) out in the field.  I thought I
knew it pretty well and had made
some modifications over the years with other techniques.  I knew I would
learn some things by going, but I undervalued my investment in the week!
It was held in a large room in the C&A division, so we also saw and
learned from Richard Davenport (back cover of this months Journal) and Greg
Rorabaugh (sp?) who are contract guys who happened to be in prepping
pianos.  I intentionally went with a nearly empty brief case and returned
with manuals from the US and Japan,  workbooks, 4 videos, CD's, diskettes,
tools, Yamaha coffee mugs, pens, aprons, etc, etc. All free!  (I didn't
swipe 'em) I did take one ashtray and a towel from the Holiday Inn
(kidding).

LaRoy did walk us through the 37 Steps in detail (he's done over 130
sessions) with hands on instruction (we each had a piano and action models)
and tips on top of tips.  Terry Nimi, a Japanese Academy trained technician
who is currently the Japanese liaison spent lots of time with us sharing
his views on several steps, also teaching us voicing and hammer prep.
What a gentleman and a master.

Yamaha put us up in a VERY nice Holiday Inn (like none I've seen-it won a
national award for design/furnishings), paid for our breakfasts and lunches
and then an incredible banquet Friday night.  Everything that Yamaha has
done in my view since I have been in this business has been first class
with an emphasis on customer satisfaction and quality, consistent products.
 This week was no exception.

An extra that I had not expected was lots of time with all of the new MIDI
pianos- Disklavier, Silent, etc.  These instruments make up close to 1/3 of
Yamaha's business and they are here to stay to say the least. They are
constantly upgrading and coming out with new models and it was great to
learn in detail about them.  Bill Brandom worked with us in that area.
Bill was a GREAT host!  Thanks!

The whole week we were made to feel VERY relaxed and we had a lot of fun as
a group.  We all laughed a lot as we learned.  There were a couple of times
that we were humbled with tests and that helped to put things in
perspective.  Yamaha's specs are very specific and very demanding.  They
can do that, in part, because the action parts and pianos are made SO
consistent.

We ate, and ate, and drank, and ate, and learned. On Friday night at the
banquet we were presented with a very well done packet (by Judy) with
certificates and 8x10 pictures with LaRoy and group pictures as well.  VERY
WELL DONE!  THANKS! Thanks so much to Bill Brandom, Terry Nimi, Steve
Pearson, Mark Wisner, LaRoy Edwards, Judy Naylor, Ray Reuter. You all went
far beyond anyone's expectations.
A sincere and humble thank you....

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter