Raise pitch vr. Up to Pitch

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:30:43 -0600 (CST)

Jon, Pitch raisers, etc.,

>I check the pitch, flat. I p/r'd and tuned and he was delighted. I told him
it was not the tuning of the last tuner, but the pitch.  And recommended he
call that tuner next time and request 440. This was a Baldwin grand. The
tuner had pointed out to the customer that it was flat and he did not want
to pay for a p/r. But it was his choice not to pull it to pitch.

Tuning a piano below standard pitch should always trigger the CYA posture.

I use the PTG invoices and the second line is:

       PITCH:Raise __ Lower __  Amount ______to ______.

I always write in "A440" after "to". If it is something other, I note it
there AND the _reason_ at the bottom area:

       "Other service and material".

If it's that old square or birdcage I'll write something like "highest pitch
possible".  If customer refuses to pay for a raise, I'll write something
like "tuned at A-xxxHz per customer request"

Conrad Hoffsommer  hoffsoco@luther.edu

First Law of Freelance Artists:
-A high-paying rush job comes in only after you
 have committed to a low-paying rush job.