Raise pitch vr. Up to Pitch

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:12:32 PST

I suggest tuning at regular intivals and raising it each time.  This is
a pitch raise and I inform them of that. This way, I will not have
wasted my time getting it up to pitch.

-----------
I'm curious as to why you do this and not raise the pitch to a=440.  Is
it a waste of time to perform a full pitch raise?  I get the feeling of
"good customers vs. bad customers" here.  I also see this in my area.
Some tuners will leave a healthy piano under pitch when it is obvious
that the piano's pitch could be at a=440.  ????????

-------------
And the
>customer hopefully will see the benefit in regular servicing.  Then
they can
>decide if they want to properly maintain it.
>They are the masters of their own destiny. (cool)
>
>They'll do what they're gunna do. I've stopped trying to convince. I
>explain the
>situation, from there it is up to them.

--------------

Well said - I agree totally.

-------------
>Just what IS tuning anyways, isn't it to make it sound acceptabe?
>And acceptable to whom?  One man's bread is another man's bird feed.

We have now entered what could be a vast and very subjective topic.
Personally, making the piano sound as good as it can possibly sound is
how I get my kicks.  That's why I'm in the business and my customers
usually hear when I'm all done - "Nothin'  like a freshly tuned piano."

Jay Mercier
Piano Technician / Music Educator
Glenwood, MN
jaymercier@hotmail.com