cheated customer. was Re: Whitney spinet

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:36:58 -0500

> >Ted:
> >
> >In my opinion, you were dishonest, and cheated the customer. You charged her
> >for the possibility of a problem, which in the end, didn't occur. You mixed
> >apples and oranges. You charged the customer for a bushell of apples, and just
> >because she looked at the oranges, you charged her for those also, even though
> >she didn't buy any....
> >

> >Willem Blees
> >St. Louis

Ted, I must agree with Willem, although I doubt you intended to cheat
the customer. Sometimes I quote too low and sometimes too high. If I
quoted too high, I'll drop the price and they feel happy.

A good guide for labor charges is published by Randy Potter. It's based
on the work by Joe Garret.  It breaks down just about every task you can
perform on a piano.  Just total the hours and multiply by your labor
rate.

I just quoted an elbow replacement job, but forgot the cost of the
elbows!  When I think too fast I don't think at all.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member