Holding the Backchecks/Broken Bridal Straps

John A. Tuttle john@player-care.com
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:53:46

Hi All,

Just a quick introduction. I'm John A. Tuttle. I've been gainfully
employed as an independent player piano technician/rebuilder for
just over 25 years in central New Jersey. I've serviced some 7000
units.

At the recommendation of Jon Page, I've joined this forum in the
hopes of gaining new insights, procedures and opinions from other
professionals in the industry. I am not a member of the PTG, but
have considered joining. As an interesting side, I've been receiving
literature about PTG events for many years but always find the costs
involved a bit steep (just an observation, I'm not trying to sound
critical).

Anyhow... Willem Blees, from St. Louis commented yesterday:

"Then put tape at several spots from the backs checks to the hammer
rail. This will keep the back checks up tight against the action,
and prevent the jacks from slipping under the butts."

I found tape messy and it's not reusable.

Years ago I made up a small 1/2" X 1/2" X 50" piece of wood from
old oak flooring. On each end (about 1/2" in from the end), I
carved a groove all the way around. In my toolbox, I also carry
a small 1/2" X 1/2" X 3" piece of oak (from the same piece of old
flooring) with four pieces of rugged nylon twine (it's a bit
heavier than string).

Initially, I made the device up for removing drop actions but it
has served me very well in instances when an upright action has
to be removed and the condition of the bridal straps is
questionable. (Many people subscribe to the thinking: If it ain't
broke, don't fix it.)

Affixing the device is really simple (which is in keeping with
the K.I.S.S. mentality and my pet: DIPUTS-Design Ideas Predicated
Upon Technical Simplicity). Place the piece of wood 'under' the
backchecks or lost-motion adjusters (depending on the action) such
that it 'hooks' on the pieces. Take a piece of the twine, double-wrap
it around each end of the wooden piece and tie it off behind the
adjacent action post. Then do the same to the other end. Use the two
remaining pieces for the center action posts and cinch everything
up tight (sometimes readjustment is desirable).

As an interesting footnote, I purchased the four-piece set of round
metal rods (sold by APSCO-and most likely others) for the task, some
years earlier. They were a pain. When applying pressure, they would
often roll right over the adjuster (in drop actions) and I'd look
like an idiot and have to start over. A few humilating experiences
like that will get those grey cells working.

Musically,

John A. Tuttle (john@player-care.com)
Brick, NJ 'www.player-care.com'