Pin Block Delamination

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 18:10:54 -0500

At 04:16 PM 11/22/98 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 98-11-22 12:42:03 EST, jpage@capecod.net writes:
><< My questions to all of you are:
> 1) Is there any way this degree of separation could have
> occurred AFTER the unit was restrung three years ago?
> 2) Does anybody have any examples of a block delaminating
> to this degree under any circumstance except improper
> stringing practices?
> John A. Tuttle (john@player-care.com) >>

>>The pin block delaminated because the piano was strung (and the pins pounded
>>in), without supporting the pin block underneath. This is a no - no in piano
>>rebuilding. There is no way to repair this. The only solution is to put in a
>>new pin block.
>>Willem Blees

Yes, Wim, we know that,

What John is looking for is a way to prove it.

Could this block demonstrate this seperation after a few years by
or chance or oversight? Could a weak area have separated to this
degree after being stressed, or not being stressed? A weak area
waiting to happen? A color variation within the glue line?

I have no first hand experience with driving pins into an unsupported block.

The tech claims he supported the block yet within a few years the block
split and the torque dropped to 10 lbs. in that area

It would seen to me that any reputable tech would remedy this without
hesitation. It would seem to me that any reputable tech would not have
used that old block.  However from John's description of the drips in
the finish and general quality of work, or lack there of, on the piano and
player mechanism; legal proceedings are the only recourse for this piano
owner to take.

There was a verbal guarantee but I do not know the length of time. And the
"rebuilder" sez it's past that time.

BTW,
Welcome to the list, John;

Jon Page