Whitney spinet

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 16:56:14 -0500 (EST)

>Hi List,
>
>My first appointment this morning was with a Whitney spinet that was 100
>cents flat.  Normally I would charge 2 pitch raises and a final tuning, but
>I noticed that there were no bridle straps so I charged an extra pitch
>raise; in other words, I went over it 4 times instead of 3.  I feel
>justified in this because of the lack of bridle straps.  I certainly didn't
>want to be faced with a broken string on this piano if I could help it.
>Anyhow, as it turned out there were no broken strings and the piano ended
>up right at A-440 and sounded pretty good.  My question is -- if a string
>had broken and required removal of the action how would I accomplish this
>without all of the jacks dropping down beneath the butts?cf
>
>Ted Simmons
>Merritt Island, FL

ted,

one thing to look for are four hooks cast right into the action brackets.
they would be about back check high, sticking out towards the keys.  uncle
schaff sells a four piece metal rod that you screw together and it will be
just as long as the action.  the rod slips into those four hooks and holds
the back checks up.  this rod works great for drop actions too.

>  Second question:
>should I have run as fast as I could from this piano?

yes, but not before lighting the fuse...

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429