Thanks again!

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:30:48 -0600

>...Should I get a new string from Baldwin and replace the string?  I don't
>believe a universal string would be satisfactory in this situation.  Can I
>get a matching string from Baldwin, if not, how should I go about getting a
>string that would match tone and quality?...
>Ed Carwithen
>John Day, OR

First, make certain the speaking length of the string is unfettered in its
ability to vibrate.

If that is okay try twisting or untwisting the offending bass string.  If
that doesn't work, try a universal.  If that doesn't work, send in the
original string to a string maker and have them duplicate at least two.
(There is a minimum cost to order.)

Using one of these methods along with filing, fitting, and voicing the
hammer should resolve the situation.  If not, you have a potential
structural problem...bridge, soundboard...

There was discussion of adding weight to certain areas of the
soundboard/bridge areas to bring out sustain...something like that.

Just ideas,

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician