brass flanges

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:23:02 EST

In a message dated 11/18/98 9:23:54 PM Central Standard Time,
fdube@vianet.on.ca writes:

<< I presume there's no necessity to cut any
 brass.Perhaps all that is needed is to overlay the brass clip and to run
 the screw through Any suggestions or comments?

Unfortunately it will not be quite that simple.  The repair clip may not fit
without you cutting or filing some brass away and even if it does, it will not
be firmly stable by itself.  Once you have got the repair clip in place and
you have the hammer and butt assembly traveling properly with the right amount
of friction, you will need to secure the clip with some kind of strong
fixative.

 Hot hide glue might work,  5 minute epoxy worked until CA glues became
available.  I recommend putting a bead of thick or alternatively, medium (but
not thin) CA glue at the base of the clip and cure it with the accelerator.
If you do not reinforce the clip somehow, it will simply pop right off with
the first test blow you give the key.  It will also not easily maintain a
stable alignment.

If the brass flange repair is simply replacing a cracked or broken butt plate,
it is a simple repair that will produce no differences in the regulation or
change in the alignment.  However the repair clips that you speak of,  while
meant to solve a problem and are the only item I know of made for that
purpose, are not very easily made to work well.  It is possible though and it
will only hold up if you fasten it down.

Good luck,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin