Restringing J Mayer Grand

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:07:49 -0700

Eliot,

You do have a mess there. It looks like you'll have to measure all the
speaking lengths, first of all. I suppose you have already checked for
wire size markings on the plate and bridge cap. It might be helpful to
know at least some of the diameters - smallest plain wire, largest plain
wire, smallest wound string, largest wound string - to help determine
what kind of total tension was on that piano. Is there any slave labor
available in your house?

Before I did anything, I would talk to someone who has experience
rescaling pianos to get an idea of how to proceed. I can recommend Dave
Sanderson in Massachussets if you don't know of anyone. Dave makes great
bass strings and I'm sure his father, Al, could come up with a new scale
that would be better than original.

Good luck.

Tom

--