FAC Averaging

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:38:54 -0600 (CST)

List,

  I'd like to know if anyone using a SAT has ever tried averaging the FAC
readings when tuning two pianos together. I'm referring primarily to
teaching studios/practice rooms with two pianos in them.
   Each one would not be tuned to it's best possible tuning, but would they
sound better together and OK separately?
   My normal practice is to tune the "lead" piano its best and tune the
second piano to it. That's what I do in concert situations. Each piano has
its best tuning stored on a page of memory and whichever is the second
piano gets the same tuning as the lead piano.
   What brought this up is yesterday I tuned a Steinway B and a Steinway S
in a private piano teacher's home. The pianos are a little better matched
in size in our two-piano rooms here at school, so it got me to thinking.
   This time, I went ahead and tuned the 'S' to the same tuning I used for
the 'B' and it sounded fairly good. And in this situation, it'll probably be
OK.
   For your information, the FAC readings were:

F = 7.1                    F = 8.9
A = 8.3                    A = 9.2
C = 6.3                    C = 7.2

   Just wondering. Thanks.