Spinet hammer return spring

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:13:23 EST

<< Does anyone know of a quick & dirty way to replace a single
 hammer return spring on a "World Class Junk" PSO-POS
 no name spinet with out removing the action? I was thinking
 of taking the extra part of the spring, form a loop, and then
 thumb tacking it into the spring rail. The failing note is in the
 7th octave and the piano itself doesn't warrant a "real" repair.

 Thanks for any help!

 Andy >>

For this kind of piano, you do what is necessary to get the piano to work,
regardless of the "rules" by which we have learned to do things. The purpose
of the return spring is to get the hammer back to rest position  The bridle
strap also helps bring the hammer back. If the spring is not there, pull the
bridle strap wire back so that the strap is taught when the hammer is at rest.
When the wippen falls down, it will pull the hammer back with it. Also be sure
there is plenty of lost motion, so that the jack can slip underneath.

Willem Blees