Grand Moving

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:51:25 -0500 (EST)

>Well I got tired of that "pick up the tail end of the piano"
>stuff, which means lift the piano board/piano up so you can roll
>a dolly under, long ago.  When I worked with ProPiano long ago
>we did the following...
>#1...Moving board is positioned on the dolly before the piano is
>tipped.
>#2...Block of whatever is positioned under the butt end of the
>board so it doesn't move down with the weight of the piano.
>#3...Lyre removed, then bass leg and piano is lowered onto butt
>end of board.  The right spot is just inside the board rail.
>#4...Now simply tip the piano over onto the board.  I don't mean
>give it a heave and step back.  I mean tip it with control and
>it will end up on its side, on the board, on the dolly with NO
>PROBLEM!
>#5...Position it on the board by sliding this way and that so
>the lid overlap is up against the board and the bass
>cheekblock/key slip is up against the board's butt.
>#6...Strap it up and guess what you don't have to dead lift the
>end of the piano/board to install the dolly...
>
>David ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA

david,

i recently came to the same conclusion and do something one better.  i
stole this idea from better movers than i.

instead of finding a block of whatever, i made two sturdy blocks that are
about an inch taller than my dolly.  i set those on the ground, skid on top
of those, and then tilt the piano.  when i have 'er strapped in i roll the
dolly under the skid, pick up one end (about an inch, very easy to do) and
kick out the block.  then do the same on the other end.  it makes moving so
much easier and with a concert grand it will save your life.  i need about
half the help i used to.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429